Friday, January 25, 2008

Time for dance

One problem we've had this year is finding time for dance lessons or really, finding time for all of our activities including dance.  When W.'s dance school announced they were doing a new ballet this spring, I was full of dread.  Rehearsals would be right in the middle of baseball season. I realized it just couldn't be done, so I made Will choose between the performance and baseball. He chose baseball and I was glad. He loves ballet but he also likes baseball and I want him to be able to keep doing it, if he can.
I wonder how long he can do that though if he keeps progressing.  My husband and I joke that we want him to be held back but really I'm not joking.  He goes to lessons twice a week now and if he progresses to the next level, it will be three days a week next year.  We hope that he has to repeat a level and stay at a manageable twice a week.  I peeked in yesterday and they were doing - um - a move I have to look up - and Will looked good.  But again, I have no clue.  The teacher came up to me later and said "he's doing really well" and of course, I was thrilled.  But at the same time,  as I said to my husband only half-jokingly. I want to say, "I don't think he is doing really well, I think he needs to work on this stuff some more."
Oh well, there are worse problems than doing well at ballet.  I fear though that if he continues he will have to start making choices between ballet and the other activities he loves and I wonder what will happen then. 

No comments: