Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Choosing baseball over ballet

W. is missing his ballet school's show this spring. We had to make the difficult decision of whether he should play baseball or dance in the show. He chose baseball. We knew he couldn't do both because the rehearsals are on Saturday and so are the games.
When my husband ran into one of the school diretors and the choreographer for the show, she said she had a part in mind for W. Sigh. It gives me a pang, not because I think it was the wrong decision. I think it's probably the right decision. He just did the Nutcracker and he needs to do other activities as well. But I worry that it won't be long before he really has to choose other activities and he might give up ballet for that reason. Ballet is so time-intensive and I guess this is like a lot of other sports where it ends up taking up your whole life. But even at W.'s level, it's hard to just take lessons. Maybe that's one reason that it's hard for boys and girls to stay with ballet at a certain level.

No comments: